Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Something my brother wrote

This is a story that my 13 year old brother wrote about his life so far as he knows it. Just so you all know, my brother has a form of kidney disease (Mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis) and is under the autism spectrum. I just thought I would share it with you all! I am copying it right from his paper so please dont mind the grammar and spelling issues.
"My Life Story (by C***** F****)
This story begins practically when I was born. I had been diagnosed with Autism just recently. Although, the doctors say I am more Aspergers than autistic. When I was younger I used to have to wear a helmet because I used to crash right through fences and I really liked to run into things! I had also been quite sick for a while. Sick as in physically unhealthy like all puffy and really pudgy. My doctors hand just diagnosed me with severe kidney disease. I had to go to the hospital a lot from three years old to I think at least six years old. I had to get things called Biopsy's. They were these tests that doctors did to check to see how my kidneys were doing. To explain kidney disease a little bit more, kidney disease is some thing where my kidneys don't function normally. They don't filter the protein that it's supposed to keep in my body. And don't worry it's not contagious (I hate it when people ask me that)! Just so this story doesn't go on forever I'll skip a few years. I am now thirteen years old and have gotten better in understanding the differences that I have. Though some people think it's very childish (and I don't really care) I really like Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh I like to participate in tournaments for the Yu-gi-oh card game. I have also seen a bunch of teenage boys playing the game too. Back to my differences, in January 2007, I was in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) at the Rush University Hospital. I was there because I was so sick that one kidney in my body almost failed! For my future problems, my sister is getting married! I say it's bad because I think that at least two months after her marriage she's moving to Georgia for at least EIGHT YEARS! And that is sending me into a really deep depression. I just feel like I need to spend more time with my family and not go to school. Lastly, people keep asking me why I am so puffy these past couple weeks. Here's the deal, just last year I was diagnosed with the high end of dangerous kidney disease. The name is really long so I can't remember it. I have to take these really big pills and they make me look like this. I hope this has educated you and answered some questions."

I guess the reason this all means so much to me is that he is self-advocating. He has NEVER EVER done so! And also...we finally has a reason why he has been fighting my mom on going to school! I am going to start trying to make more time to spend with him before I move to be with Mishu!

No comments: