Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Interesting day

Work today was nice. Nothing really eventful at either job. At the pool I realized that I really need to push myself to do laps. I need to train myself enough that I can swim a 500m front crawl. I also realized during my attempt to see how far I can go now that I NEED goggles. My eyes are burning so bad right now. I ended up being able to do 100m in one try and I tried to get another 100 in and was only able to get 50m more. I am going back tomorrow and trying again. The more I practice, the more I will be able to do, right? Heh...everyone I talked to at the pool told me my best bet was to just keep at it and keep it up.

I know I need to get into shape, and this is something that HAS to be done so I guess I have no choice now but to get into shape. I need to be able to swim at least the 500m because I need to get my lifeguard certification. I know I can do everything else, it's just the long distance swimming that I have a hard time with.

I talked to Mishu a little bit today and that helped. I don't like to complain because there are so many that have it so much worse, and we have dealt with so much worse, but I think that because he is stateside I am spoiled and like to talk to him more. He works at an Army medical center and the department he works in is the ER. He has been on the night shift and they work 12 hours shifts. It's an odd schedule and I'm forever forgetting when he works and when he doesn't. But this schedule makes the days he works suck because I work from 8:30-3 (M-F)and then from 3:40-7P on Mondays and Tuesdays and from 5-6:30P on Thursdays and Fridays. He starts work at 7PM EST. :( Sometimes he is still sleeping when I get out of work and I have to keep calling him to wake him up. Like, yesterday we talked for about half an hour, today we talked for about 20 minutes. I know I shouldn't complain but I still miss him and I hate not getting my time to talk to him.

Off that...a co-worker (at the pool, we will call her A) came up to me today visibly upset. She started telling me how she had just gotten off the phone with her cousin, who was like a sister to her. She told me that her cousin's child was 2 years old and the whole family was concerned because the child had not started talking yet. I guess they recently had the child tested and he now has a diagnoses of Autism. At this point, A got very jittery and said, "I feel like you are one of the only people I can talk to about this! I feel horrible right now for feeling this way. Is it ok that I feel sad about this?" I almost didn't know what to say. She broke down into tears at this point. I felt really bad for her. I know it's a tough diagnoses to swallow and I told her it was ok to feel that way, as long as she worked through it and realized that it was a blessing that they did the testing and they now can get the child into an early-intervention program. I hugged her and told her it was going to be a rough road, but she really needed to be there and be strong for her cousin and the child. We talked about it for a little while and she kept getting worse emotionally, so I showed her a breathing technique, breathing in her nose and out her nose 10 times. She ended up giggling a little and telling me she felt light headed. I told her she needed to remember this technique because it might come in handy one day! LOL! I hope she feels better soon.

That's about all for today. If I can think of anything else, I'll definitely post! LOL!

4 comments:

Dayngr said...

My daughter is three and she's not a big talker but I never worried about having her tested because she seemed pretty quick to pick up on everything else. She'll be 4 in July and just recently she started really trying words and talking more. I can't speak for your friend's situation but is she really sure that the diagnosis is correct? I hope she gets a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

CorinneR. said...

I did suggest that her cousin get the child assesed by other doctors as well, but honestly, starting an early intervention program could do nothing but help. We talked later in the evening and she kept apologizing. I told her not to apologize, there was nothing to apologize about.

Dayngr said...

You're right about early intervention. I'd just hate to hear about a mom getting the wrong diagnosis. I hope everyting works out in the best interests of the child either way. =)

CorinneR. said...

Yeah, I definitely hope she gets more opinions. :)