Friday, July 10, 2009

Bubba's Belly Run

Not too long ago, a fellow Army wife, Nicki Bunting, laid her loving husband, Brian "Bubba" Bunting to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. Like so many others, Bubba was tragically killed in action by an IED a mere two weeks after returning from R&R. Days after finding out she lost her husband, Nicki found out she was pregnant with their second child.

Nicki has been an incredible inspiration to me and a model of grace, dignity, strength and love at a time when she would have every reason to curl up in a ball. I have asked myself many times if I could hold myself together the way she has and still find a way to be happy for others and encourage them the way she has continued to do. I have caught myself thinking "It could have been my husband just as easily" and yes, it could have been almost any one of our husbands, brothers, sons, or friends.

In the midst of this loss, Nicki has managed to organize the First Annual Bubba's Belly Run, a 5k Run/Maternity Walk and Fun Run on September 27th, 2009. The proceeds will benefit the Bunting children education and other Gold Star families.

Although most of us can't participate IN the run, there is one thing we can do to support this. How? Order an American flag for a mere $5. The flag you buy will not be sent to you. It will be displayed along the race route and will honor one of the 5,001 + soldiers who have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting the same war as our very own loved ones.

I was pretty dishearted to learn after buying a couple of them that only 80 or so flags have been sold, and so I am writing to encourage all of you to visit the site and buy a flag (or two or more) to honor Bubba and the rest of those who have paid the ultimate price.



PLEASE pass this on to let others know about this! Support the fallen! 5 bucks is a Starbucks or a Extra Value Meal at McD's. You can do without that for one day.

Thanks for reading and passing this on.


I am going to run/walk this and I just really want to get the word out.

No comments: